Powered by Blogger.

Braving the Cold in Scotland - January 2019

by - 07:30


In January I flew to Glasgow to visit a friend. Originally I had always wanted to visit Scotland for the sights and to hike but it is definitely too cold to be doing that in January (especially when it was snowing too), so instead, I was shown the city and also had a day out to Edinburgh.


Flight: I flew with Easyjet from Gatwick to Glasgow for £93 with a flight duration of approximately 1 hour 30 minutes. It is also possible to take the train to Scotland from London but the prices I found were all over £100 and the journey would have taken 4+ hours.

Do: University of Glasgow is a stunning piece of architecture and they even have a museum inside (what kind of University houses a museum!? Mine definitely does not). We did get a little lost inside but there are maps around and also students milling about, should you need any help navigating the place.


10 minutes walk away from the University is Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. All museums in Glasgow have free entry which is amazing. The museum has 22 galleries including Ancient Egypt, Animals and Glasgow Life (to name just 3), so there is something for everyone to enjoy (i.e. I enjoy paintings but I do not understand furniture art).


Another museum which I visited was the Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) which is in Central Glasgow and has the famous Duke of Wellington statue with a cone on its head, infront of the museum. This museum is much smaller and unless you're in the area anyway, I wouldn't necessarily recommend making a trip just to visit here.


For a night out we went to Tingle Shooters Bar to start off with. The bar itself is small and it can get very hot inside especially upstairs but they have a wide range of shots and the drinks are super cheap, shots are £1.50 and as we went on a Thursday, a vodka mix was only £1! (Normal price is £3.50 but even that is still a bargain). After that I was taken to Polo Lounge, which is a stunning and absolutely massive gay bar venue. They have so many different rooms with different music playing in each one. Another club we hit was Kokomo, which is a smaller venue than Polo but it was packed and the music was on point.

On our day trip to Edinburgh we walked up to Edinburgh Castle, which you can go inside for £18.50 (adult ticket) open from 09:30 - 17:00 but even if you decide against it, the view from outside the castle is worth seeing too.


5 minutes walk away from the castle is Camera Obscura and World of Illusions, this tourist attraction has 6 floors with each one having a different theme. It is open everyday and an adult ticket costs £16.00 which includes entrance to their rooftop. Camera Obscura makes for a fun day out and there is no doubt you will enjoy the wonders of this place whether you go with family, a friend or your partner.


Eat: For my first night in Glasgow, we went to Angels Hotel in Lanarkshire for dinner. I love duck, if there is duck on a menu (confit, pan-fried) there is 90% chance that is what I would order so when I saw pan-fried duck on the menu it was a no-brainer. The duck was so juicy and full of flavour, everything (beetroot sauerkraut, roasted gnocchi, blackberry jus and hazelnut crumbs) worked well with one another and I don't even like gnocchi (horror story of trying gnocchi for the first-time on a plane). For dessert I got the warm chocolate brownie cake with salted caramel and vanilla ice-cream which again was delicious. I would definitely come back to Angels Hotel the next time I'm in Glasgow. 


Another place that we went to for dinner was Nippon Kitchen, a modern Japanese restaurant in Central Glasgow. I ordered the soft-shell crab for starters but it wasn't fresh so it had a strong fishy taste to it. I did enjoy my main course though which was the beef donburi, the sauce was nice (although the quantity of it was a little too much) and the portion size was very generous.


As we were exploring University of Glasgow and the area, we stopped at CATCH - Fish and Chips for lunch. I ordered the cod and we had a side of onion rings to share. The portion was big, the fish was fresh, the chips are twice-cooked and thick cut and the salad was tangy and crunchy, oh and the vinegar comes in a cute little spray bottle!


This leads me to the end of this blogpost. On this trip I realised why people like Edinburgh so much, it is a beautiful city and all the main attractions are grouped in one area which makes it easy for tourists to navigate. If you're looking for stunning pictures, Edinburgh is the way to go, if you're looking for a good night out then Glasgow would be the one and the people are so friendly! I'd definitely be going back up to Scotland in the future. Thank you for reading! (•‾⌣‾•)و ̑̑♡

You May Also Like

0 comments